Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Another Year Down the Drain (???)

Ok. So I celebrated my 21st birthday on the 26th of October, that is, just a few days back. Whoever I expected to wish me did so. And I dont ask for anything more.Ya so it also simply means that I am 21 years old. And it also means that I am one more year older since my birth and more importantly, that I am one more year closer to my death. I was just thinking about all the things that I had promised myself that I would be doing in my 21st year and all the things that I finally didn’t end up doing. And when I compared them, I found that the lists were simply matching to perfection.

I had simply done nothing that I had promised myself that I would on my 20th birthday. But at the same time I did a lot of things that I hadn’t promised myself. And that’s a lot. My 21st year was the abode to my worst semester for more than one reason. But in the end there were quite a lot of things that I rather think about than all those horrible things that I happened to do in that one horrible semester. Of course there will always be things that simply happen by themselves and you don’t have to do anything about it. All you have to do is to just allow it to happen. And there were many things that just “happened”.

The following are some of the more relevant things that just “happened”:

1) I grew by one more year.

2) I passed in two semesters.

3) I ended a close friendship with my school mate. ( For more info, read ‘Requiem for the past’)

4) My holidays got wasted.

5) I got internet in my hostel room.

6) I got my Driver’s License for car and two wheeler.

7) I made one new friend.

8) A lot of similar stuff…….

Ok so there you had it. Some of the relevant things that just happened to have happened. Now I will be giving you a list of all those things that I did and that really mattered. Now before I tell you those things, there is still something that I did that has simply changed the very way I think. And if it wasn’t for it, I would have still be living life thinking that we are going to die anyway, so why bother achieve anything now.

I read The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. And trust me, there has been nothing more influential to me than what was conveyed in those two books. It is simply not enough that I just make a mention about it in this blog. I will be writing a complete blog just about that soon. And it will be something that will define me.

And for all the other stuff that I “did” in my 21st year, here is the list:

1) I have now become part of something that has the potential to become something big in the near future.

2) I finally finished my original work that I had been secretly working on for the past few months.

3) I smiled because I had in my hands something that was mine- something that was completely from my own thinking.

4) I have more or less decided that I will be pursuing soil engineering for my higher studies.

5) I realized that I am more happy here with my new group of friends than what I was in my previous academic year.

6) And in the end I realized that preparation really pays.

This is not one of the better blogs that I have written. But I just have a lot of things to say. This was just the beginning of the many blogs that I will be writing within this week.

Like I said, there are many things that just happen and there are many things that you make happen. And life is all about having both of them in the right proportions.

Another year down the drain? I will leave it to you to figure out. But whatever may have happened in my 21st year, one thing that I am damn sure about is that I am atleast, much much wiser than what I was one year back. And I will definitely gain a lot from that.

22nd year is already under way. But what does it mean? Or rather, what will I make it mean?

Whatever it be, it wont be another year down the drain next time on….

No comments: